A Part of Fierce Play's Grounded Gymnastics Series
The superman is an exercise where the athlete, lying on his or her stomach with arms and legs extended straight, raises both arms and legs simultaneously off the floor by a few inches. Getting its name because the movement mimics the comic book superhero flying in the air, the superman strengthens the core with an emphasis on the core muscles in your back. The superman is a great way to change up your core work because many other core exercises focus on the core muscles in the front of your body.
Watch the video clip below for a full explanation of technique, tips and tricks for performing the movement with efficiency, as well as precautions for staying safe.
- Stay Extended: Keep arms and legs as straight as you can while you lift them upward. This will better engage the core muscles during the movement.
- Chest and Thighs Upward: As you lift your arms and legs, focus on also keeping your chest up and off the ground in order to better engage the back muscles. Similarly, the goal is to lift your thighs off the ground to ensure your lower back is contracted and engaged throughout the movement.
- Squeeze Tight: Think about squeezing your shoulder blades together and also squeezing your butt (glutes) engage the back and core as much as possible.
- Max Holds: When it comes to how long you should hold the superman position, the most common recommendation is to hold it as long as you can! Max holds simply mean that you attempt to hold the position for as long as you can before dropping down to rest. Set a goal for yourself as you complete your max holds to continue to drive improvement. Even reaching for that additional ten seconds of hold time can make a big difference in your core strength!
- 30-On / 30-Off: Another variation is to hold for 30 seconds on and then immediately rest for 30 seconds. Try to perform this 30-On / 30-Off rotation set as many times as you are able before you feel your core hit burn-out. Push yourself for one more set, as we get the most benefit out of the last bit of work we do.
QUESTIONS: Ready to get started, or curious to learn more about how Fierce Play can help you meet your health and wellness goals? Contact us for more information. Also feel free to check out more of our videos series to learn how to perform the basics with solid form and efficiency.
GROUNDED GYMNASTICS SERIES: Technique at Every Stage
Fierce Play’s Grounded Gymnastics Series focuses on proper technique, as well as tips & tricks, to master some of the foundational movements that will be integrated into many of the workouts you will perform. Start your next workout with the confidence and skills to do the movement safely and effectively.